At Department of International Trade (DIT) Ireland our current focus remains on connecting companies in Ireland with trading opportunities in the UK linked to COVID-19 so if you are in the business of medical supplies, of testing capability, of medicines or of other innovations that you think might be able to help please get in touch with us.
In UK news this week I want to highlight the following :
- New micro-loan scheme: for small and medium-sized businesses. From 4 May 2020, UK businesses will be able to apply online for the new Bounce Back Loans scheme through a short and simple form. The scheme will allow businesses to borrow between £2,000 and £50,000 with the Government paying the interest for the first 12 months. The Government will guarantee 100% of the value of the loan to private lenders. No repayments will be due during the first 12 months
- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme update: HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has published a recording of their webinar on how to make a claim through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. It has also been announced furloughed workers who take paid parental or adoption leave will be entitled to pay based on their usual earnings, as opposed to the furloughed pay rate.
- Launch of new business support tool: The Government has released a new online ‘support finder’ tool, helping businesses and self-employed people across the UK to quickly and easily determine what financial support is available to them during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Try this out (https://www.gov.uk/business-coronavirus-support-finder).
- There is also a freely available webinar on how small businesses can claim Government support during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on 5 May 2020.
- For all the latest info click into the Government business support homepage.
- And to conclude with a video celebrating distilleries across the UK who are shifting production to hand sanitiser.
Businesses can find information on the transition period at gov.uk/transition (domestic) and great.gov.uk/transition (international). Businesses can also submit any queries related to trade and the transition period on great.gov.uk (domestic) or great.gov.uk/international (international).
We are here and ready to help especially if you have specific queries, concerns or remedies to share with us please contact us directly
➡️ Director of Trade and Investment Shirley McCay – [email protected]
➡️ Head of Investment, John O’Loughlin – [email protected]
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with your individual business query or simply to feedback to us on how we can help